Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs
Experience:  Specialist in Pet Healthcare and Behavior

My dog has a sore inside the pad of his foot. Our Vet had ...

My dog has a sore inside the pad of his foot. Our Vet had tried Simplicef 100 mg, which appeared to help at first, but the sore keeps coming back. The Vet does not what else to try. The dog needs to walk because he gains weight easily. The sore causes him to limp. We don't know what to do.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

IF the sore is caused by a bacterial infection, and your vet knows this for sure, because the area has been cultured, then the Simplicef should be working, and he might need to be on it for a longer period of time. However, if the problem is NOT caused by a bacterial infection, but a fungal one, for example, ringworm, then antibiotic treatment will do nothing to resolve it. A fungal infection must be treated with an anti-fungal medication.

If your vet has not yet done a skin scraping, culture, or biopsy of the area, this should be the next step, to determine the source of the infection, then the most appropriate treatment can be prescribed.

Also, there might be some tiny particle, like a splinter, thorn, etc., embedded in the paw pad, which is not visible to the naked eye, and this is causing the sore and the discomfort. Try putting a baby sock or boy's sock on your dog's paw, after the sore has cream or other treatment on it, to keep it clean, yet keep the medication on.

If your regular vet can't help with a solution to resolve this problem, then ask for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist, and this should be helpful. Specialists are found in ER vet centers and Veterinary Colleges, if your regular vet can't make a referral.

I hope your dog is feeling better, very soon!