Reanih
Reanih, Petcare Expert
Experience:  Specializing in Cat, Dog and Freshwater Tropical Aquariums with 20+ years experience
3350763

I have a 14 week kitten who has had runny poo since I got ...

I have a 14 week kitten who has had runny poo since I got him (not diarohhea). I have him on Whiskas pouches and Biscuits and thought it might be this that was causing it so tried Iams but he had really bad poo''s then. He is otherwise very healthy although I think he look a bit skinny. He has had his 12 week injections, is wormed (by the vet) and de-flea''d. I was wondering if he might need a special diet? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Reanih replied 6 years ago.
Good Morning,

Did this baby come from a shelter?
How long have you had him?
Are the stools very stinky?

Standing by to help...
Reani
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I got him from Cats Protection, and he came to me vet checked,microchipped, wormed and he had had his 8 weeks injections. Cats Protection is a registered charity where 'fosterers' care for animals in their own home until a new home can be found. I have taken him for his 12 week injections and healthcheck since and he is also being wormed on a regular basis. I mentioned the runny stools to the vet at this time but she said it was probably the food and I should change it which I tried and it made it worse! His stools have been runny ever since I got him 6 weeks ago. It doesnt seem to bother him at all and he eats well. I have also noticed he drinks alot of water. The stools are rather smelly compared to his brothers which are nicely formed and the normal smelliness!
He doesnt go poo as much as his brother, probably 2-3 times a day, but when he goes, he goes, sometimes the stool is solid at first but by the time he has finished it has turned into runny stuff.
Hope this helps!!
Thanks
Rachel
Expert:  Reanih replied 6 years ago.
Hi Rachel,

He should be checked for Giardia and Coccidosis by the vet. These are protzoan parasites that are quite common in rescues and do not show on the normal stool tests, so they have to specifically look for them. Giardia in particular will produce a runny stool. In the meantime, keep him on a good quality food, and add a teaspoon of plain yogurt to his daily intake. This will help to firm his stools, but he should still be checked.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please let me know how he does!

Warmest Wishes,
Reani
Reanih, Petcare Expert
Experience: Specializing in Cat, Dog and Freshwater Tropical Aquariums with 20+ years experience