Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years as a companion animal veterinarian; BVMS and MRCVS.
10379358

my bunnys ears are full of wax. I clean them out

my bunny's ears are full of wax. I clean them out daily but they are still waxy. I brought him an ear wax cleaner too but it did not help. he never used to have this problem. is he sick? I have other rabbits and their ears are fine
Category: Pet
Expert:  Andrea Roberts replied 8 years ago.

Hi there, It's certainly not normal for a rabbit to have waxy ears!! It can be indicative of ear mites actually. It's not a good idea to regularly clean rabbits ears, as they are very delicate, and the surface skin can bleed easily. I would take him to the vet and get them to check for ear mites, if he has these , then a series of ivermectin injections will cure it.

Hope this helps

regards Andrea

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

hi

he saw a vet today and they have him otomax for this ears. What is otomax? Is it for mites?

Hi, No, otomax isn't for mites, its for treating bacterial and yeast infections of the ear, so presumably that's whats going on. Hope it works!

Andrea