Ask TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO Your Own Qu...

TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING
1568960

Egg bound goldfish what is the best treatment I have used ...

Egg bound goldfish what is the best treatment? I have used Epson salts 2 tablespoons to 3 gallons of pond water in separate tank for 20 mins two days ago and there appears to be no difference. Fish is still eating heartily and looks fine in all other respects
Category: Pet
Expert:  TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO replied 6 years ago.
Hi.

Just wanted to ask you something before I begin.
This is just to make absolutely sure the fish is egg bound as opposed to having something else.

Are the fish's scales sticking out giving them a pine cone appearance? If so then it would indicate something different than being egg bound.
Please let me know.

Your treatment plan of isolating the affected fish and treating with epsom salts is fine. The only change I would make is making the dosage of epsom salts higher, 1 tablespoon per every gallon of water.

I would also recommend doing the epsom salt baths daily for 15 minutes. To avoid the eggs that are internally enlodged in the fish from becoming infected you could add a medicine called
erythromycin (generic). Listed below is a link to a brand name product, Maracyn, which contains
erythromycin.

Please note that for egg bound fish the only known remedy is the epsom salt baths administered as mentioned above. The goal here is too assist the fish in either reabsorbing the eggs or expelling them. Usually the fish will reabsorb them.

Some goldfish experts feel that the presence of a male goldfish will help stimulate the female to expel her eggs but the problem is knowing how to identify a male goldfish which is difficult under normal circumstances and even more difficult in a pond situation.

So continue giving the epsom salt baths as mentioned prior, begin treating with erythromycin, keep the water quality good, provide a varied diet and the fish's chances will be greatly increased to reabsorb or expel her eggs.   

Good luck!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4838
Experience: OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING