Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My puppy has been laying around all day. nothing interests ...

Customer Question

My puppy has been laying around all day. nothing interests him. I have to coax him to eat or go outside. Not his normal behavior.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

This is a tricky one ...

1. I have seen puppies at the clinic frequently who have been listless and disinterested in life, on examination they seem fine, temperature, heart chest etc. Most vets will give then an antibiotic shot or a B12 injection they then pick up the next day but the truth of it is they would pick up anyway.

2. I also puppies presented like yours who have had a sky high temperature and been quite ill ...

There is no real way I can diagnose this over the internet. A reasonable course of action would be to keep the puppy warm and comfortable and keep trying to make it eat and get fluids into it. If it is still the same tomorrow you should take it to the vet and if it deteriorates today then go today.

If I can advise you further do not hesitate to get back in touch.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just took our pup to the vet. Lo - he finds a broken stick lodged in the roof of his mouth that I missed, stuck between his upper teeth. Also, he did have an ear infection which had gotten out of control and between the two problems, he was not himself at all! He is feeling better already. Thanks!
Glad to hear he is better ...