Mia Carter
Mia Carter, Animal Expert
Experience:  Specializing in the training and care of ill pets and special needs animals! Mom of 22 pets!
5408404

what affect does high pitched noised have on cats and dogs

No Comment Added
Category: Pet
Expert:  Mia Carter replied 6 years ago.
Hello there!

The effect really depends on the situation and volume. If the volume is very loud, there is the potential for hearing damage, no matter the pitch of the sound. In short, if the volume is at a level that could be damaging for you or I, the same goes for other animals. In some ways, animals would be more prone to hearing damage because they can hear a broader range of sounds, therefore there's more sounds out there that they can detect. So you could play a very high pitched sound at a high volume, and it could be harmful and damaging to the cat or dog's hearing. But it would have no effect on my ears or your ears because we cannot hear that frequency.
You also have to remember that dogs and cats both have extremely acute hearing, therefore, the range of pitches that they can hear is much larger than what you or I can hear. So there are cases where they will be able to hear a high pitched noise and you or I can't hear it. Dog whistles are an example of this.
In terms of the effect of a high pitch noise, it could certainly get the animal's attention and elicit a reaction, such as fear or startling. But this isn't really unique to a high-pitched noise - it can occur with an array of sounds.

Just let me know if you have any additional questions! You can hit the "reply" button.

***Please ACCEPT if my answer was helpful!***

-Mia Carter
Pet Expert

*As experts, we do not get compensated for our time and efforts unless you "accept!"*

Mia Carter, Animal Expert
Experience: Specializing in the training and care of ill pets and special needs animals! Mom of 22 pets!