Theresa, Voice for your pet
Experience:  Veterinary Technician for 15 years

My dog has green discharge coming out of her eyes. What is ...

My dog has green discharge coming out of her eyes. What is the solution to this?

Did your vet perform any tests when you took her in?

When was this tri otic prescribed?

How do the whites of her eyes look?

Is she squinting?

How long has the discharge been going on?

The first thing I suggest you do is rinse out the eyes thoroughly with cool water. Tri otic is not for the eyes but for the ears and can cause more irritation. Rinse them very well. Your dog may have an infection called conjunctivitis or she could have a dry eye condition called keraconjunctivitis sicca or KCS for short. The green mucous is the last resort shield to protect the eyes because they eyes do not produce their own normal tears. For a couple of days you can try artificial tears in the eyes 4 or more times a day to see if adding moisture to the eyes helps. If after a couple days the eyes do not improve or if they get worse at any time then I suggest a trip to the vet to rule out a more serious condition or injury to the eye.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The tri-octic was prescribed on August 10, 2007. The discharge has been going on for about a week. The whites of her eyes are a little red. She is not squinting. She has not been at the vet recently.

If this was tri optic then we are doing good since this is just three different types of antibiotics. You can continue to use this twice a day but I would also include the artificial tears as well to help with keeping the eyes lubricated.