NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care

The coccidia virus in goats. If a goat is treated can they

Customer Question

We have a baby goat just purchased at auction that has Coccidia and is in the process of being treated, needs 5 more days of treatment. We have separated this goat from the other 2 that we own. I understand that this coccidia gets into the ground from feces. Can the goat that has been treated for this disease get re-infected with it by staying in that same pasture? If I put the other 2 goats that I own in that pasture after the baby goat is cured, will those goats get infected with the coccidia? How long does this coccidia stay in the ground and have the potential of infecting other goats if they are put in the same pasture?
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
These articles on coccidia in goats may be what you are looking for
this is a more personal experience
and this a more scholarly treatment of the issue
Coccidia is terrible to get rid of and can take more than a year to be cleared from soil.
But its also very present in the environment and many adult animals have it in their systems. What happens when you treat for coccidia is the medicines used reduce the amount of the protozoans present but does not totally clear it. The goat as it matures develops immunity and handles the infection keeping it under control with their own immune system or with the help of medicated feeds.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can this coccidia from a goat in the ground affect other animals like pigs, horses, dogs, cows?
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
Coccidia species often are specifically infective to particular types of animals.
You can read about this here in the Merck
As animals build immunity to protozoans (we do too) and some animals do not get infected or ill with some species of coccidia cross contamination might happen but not cause disease.
I'd suggest having a talk with your regular vet about introducing new animals and health issues in a mixed farm along with medicated feeds etc.
Thanks for the above accept!