Gina, Animal Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in pet health care, breeder of English Mastiffs, barnyard, knowledgeable aquarium keeper.

How long does a dog bleed after giving birth

Customer Question

I adopted a stray and she had puppies about 10 weeks ago. I noticed today that she is still having a bloody discharge.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Gina replied 8 years ago.

Has she been spayed?

Is there any swelling of her vulva area?

Is it bright red discharge?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Gina's Post: No, she has not been spayed yet. I was waiting on her milk to dry up. It looks a little swollen to what I think it normally is. No, the discharges is a brown color, like old blood.
Expert:  Gina replied 8 years ago.

Normally a female discharges for about 3-4 weeks after birth so she should not have discharge at this point. I would have her checked out just to be on the safe side incase there is an infection present. I am almost wondering if maybe she is starting her heat cycle again. They can cycle every 4-6 months. :) Go ahead and make her an appointment with the vet for a check and let me know how you make out. :)

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Gina's Post: OK, I will do that. I was going to but I wasn't sure how dog postpartum goes:) Thank you very much:)
Expert:  Gina replied 8 years ago.
You're very welcome and to help dry her up, limit her water intake for the next 24 hours and limit her food to very small feedings. :)