Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my dog is having very loud bowel sounds I can hear across ...

my dog is having very loud bowel sounds I can hear across the room. She does not appear to be in acute distress but the noise is concerning me. It''s almost midnight, should I be worried?
Submitted: 8 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the question,

I think you should be concerned, in most cases this is just indigestion such as a person can get and it will pass on its own.

However ..... Alsatians are prone to a disease called twisted stomach, bloat or volvulus which is very serious indeed and if you suspect that is happening you should seek immediate veterinary advice. You should be looking for discomfort, salivation, vomting and distention of the stomach. It might be as well to to monitor your dog for a few hours to check that the symptoms you are seeing now are not the beginning of a twisted stomach. Indigestion symptoms is how it starts you see.

I have had a look on the net for more information about twisted stomach : http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&articleid=402

I hope I am wrong here and it is just a simple indigestion, but you cannot be too careful.

If I can help you further get in touch,

Scott Nimmo BVMS