Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

My 20 lb. Rat Terrier, has strained or pulled the muscle ...

My 20 lb. Rat Terrier, has strained or pulled the muscle near her right hip. She did this about a month ago and after a week of rest seemed to be okay. She did this again today while running after her ball. She is carrying the right hip when she walks and doesn''t appear to be in pain except when putting weight on it. What can we do over the weekend to make her more comfortable? The last occasion resulted in a swollen muscle between her rib cage and the curature of her hip. Seems to be the same again.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

You can alternate heat and cold to help with the pain. You can also give Plain Buffered Aspirin if she is not on any pain medicine or as long as she does not have a bleeding disorder. The Aspirin can be given at 5 mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours for a total of two days. This should help her through the weekend. Make sure to give it with some food. Let her rest as much as possible and make sure she doe not do any excessive exercise. Joan