NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care

My goldfish is turning white. I have had him over 8 years ...

My goldfish is turning white. I have had him over 8 years and recently his coloring is going from orange to white. What can I do?
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
This may have to do with the amount of full spectrum light he gets.
Fish have cells called chromatophores that produce the pigments that give coloration or reflect light. Production of the pigments is stimulated by the light they get and the food they are fed.
But genetics also plays a role. Some fish turn white as they age and some cycle through different colors including black, orange, silver and white depending on how old they are plus other factors such as light, food, levels in the water of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and changes in tank ph.
Hope this helps you!