Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

poodle: stomach often and vomits an acid..substance..treat..medicine

my poodle has upset stomach often and vomits an acid like substance usually yellow in color, this usually happens in the early morning hours, can I treat her with any kind of antiacid medicine?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.

How much does your poodle weigh?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She weighs 10 lbs.
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. Vomiting yellow bile at night is usually a sign of an empty stomach with acid in it. You can give 2.5 mg. of Pepcid AC (1/4 of a 10mg. tablet) at bedtime. Use only Pepcid AC, not Pepcid Complete. If your dog is on any other medications, you should check with your vet first. However, more frequent feeding often solves the problem.

If you feed her only once or twice a day, divide the food into several smaller meals. Since the vomiting occurs at night, it would be most important to give her a small, starchy meal just before you go to bed. Well-cooked rice (instant is fine) with a little plain yogurt (not sweetened with sugar or artificially) is a good choice. If you get up in the night for a drink of water or to use the bathroom, give your dog a snack of a biscuit, a piece of saltine cracker, or several pieces of kibble. My own dog has this same problem, and I keep biscuits in a plastic container on the nightstand for this purpose. Sometimes a bit of food in the stomach is all it takes to help this problem. If these steps don't solve the problem, then I would try the Pepcid AC.

The above steps are most important, but you can also try digestive enzymes, such as Prozyme or N-zymes. They are available from vets and in some pet stores.

If these measures don't solve the problem, it would be a good idea to see your vet. Your dog may have an ulcer or other problem that will require prescription medication.

My dog used to be sick almost every night. Since making these changes, it only happens once every couple of months. I hope you get similar results. If you have further questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)