Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  15 years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist
2361900

I have a two year old female doberman. She started bleeding ...

I have a two year old female doberman. She started bleeding last week. She stop bleeding two days ago. Yesterday she allowed our male doberman to mount her and also again today. But after about 5minutes today she became very aggressive. Is it possible is isn''t ready yet or just that we missed the window.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 years ago.
Hi Abishop,

A few key things is that the female needs to be in the right stage of heat and also needs to be brought into the males territory for mating and not the other way around. Male dogs become sexually mature around 6-7 months of age so he is old enough.

To breed successfully you need to understand the heat cycle. I have explained it below and included a site that has a pictorial guide so there is no mistake what stage of heat your girl is in.

Female Dogs go into heat at any time between 6-12 months usually. The average heat cycle for a dog is approximately 3 weeks but for some dogs it is longer and for others it is shorter. Some as short as 10 days and some as long as 4 weeks or more. Usually your dog will go into heat every 6-7 months though again each dog is different and can go back into heat as early as 4 months or not for 12 months. Most however are average.

During the first part of a dogs heat period you will notice swelling of the vulva, possibly an increase in urination and bleeding. If there are male dogs around you will notice them hanging around her. This stage generally last about 7 days and she will not allow males to mate with her during this period The second part of the heat cycle is when she will accept a male and breed. Usually bleeding has stopped or become straw colored at this point. This can last from 4 to 21 days though the average is 7 days. Many expert say the 9-10th day of heat is the optimum day for breeding. It is during this period of time that you will want to allow mating. Most breeders allow the dogs to mate every other day during this period.

Then during the last stage of heat she will be less willing to breed as she is going out of heat. This stage can again last from 4 to 21 days as well but averages 7 days.

Each dog is different so some evaluation by the owner is necessary. The whole heat period should be approximately 21 days but as stated can be longer or shorter depending on the dog.

Here is an excellent website with pictures to illustrate a female in different stages of heat.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breedingheat.htm

With some first time breeding females it is necessary to leash them to prevent them from attacking the male. Some females will allow a male to mount but when it feels like he may succeed, they turn and snarl disrupting the male. If she is in the proper stage of heat, then you may want to contain her perhaps with a head halter to prevent her attacking the male.

I hope you find this information helpful.
Experience: 15 years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have breed several times before and I am familiar with the stages of breeding. This is the first time the dog has been breed. My question was if you think she is still in heat. She went through 7 days of heavy bleeding. She has stopped two days ago. I put in there with the male, she allowed him to mount but they did not tie. So, again today I put her back in there and she only allowed him to mount for approx. 5minutes before becoming aggressive. I realize when a female becomes aggressive normally she is not ready to take. Considering she was ready yesterday and not today do you think she is now out of heat? She only bleed 7 days and now it has been 3 days since she stopped. SHe is very swollen.
Abishop,

I included an explaination of the heat cycle to show you that she should still be in the right stage of heat since she just stopped bleeding 3 days ago. Dogs normally are in the right stage to breed at day 9-14. The swelling as I included in my explaination should be a little more during the time she will accept a male. Of course, I can't see your dog or know what state her vulva was in previously which is why I also included a site that has pictures of a female dog in the various stages of heat.

But to answer your question without any other explaination, I believe she is still in heat and is resisting the efforts of the male to mate. If he actually connected yesterday, then she may be avoiding it as it may have been uncomfortable for her. That is why I suggested leashing her. She should be in the right stage for mating for another 3-4 days at least.