Theresa
Theresa, Voice for your pet
Experience:  Veterinary Technician for 15 years

My cousin has hpv and my dog got a hold of her bloody ...

My cousin has hpv and my dog got a hold of her bloody tampon. My husband and I found it last night chewed all up. My dog licks our noses all the time. Can the hpv be transmitted through our noses? Can we now get hpv or can the dog?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

You cannot contract HPV in this manner unless you are the one who actually handled the dirty tampon. It is a very rare to unlikely occurrence that any contact not sexual can transmit the disease. If you remain concerned or did handle the dirty tampon without cleaning your hands or using gloved hands or other means to protect yourself then I would suggest contacting your family doctor. Again the risk is very low that you can contract the virus in this manner.

As for your dog. This is one of many conditions that are not transmissible from human to dog or vice versa.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Theresa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much..You were able to put my husband to ease..I was researching this for an hour and nothing would explain if dogs could get it. Thankyou for your great advice.
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

You are very welcome.

Theresa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: should we clean the dogs mouth out with anything or will it be ok for to lick us again
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

It isn't necessary to wash out the dogs mouth and yes he can lick you. The virus does not live long outside of the body and inside the mouth of a dog it cannot survive because a dog is not the host.

Theresa

Theresa, Voice for your pet
Experience: Veterinary Technician for 15 years