Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Animal Healthcare expert
Experience:  Expert in pet health and behavior. 20 year experience with animals.

my dog is losing hair it skin flaking theres sores and bleeding.

my dog is one yaer old it started getting fleas so we put advantage on hem to controil them. the dog hair started falling out in the places were it was put on so we washed hem with dish soap to take off the advantage its now getting all over his body the sores and hair loss.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 8 years ago.

I m so sorry your boy is dealing with this.

He may have been allergic to the fleabites or the Advantage or both.

These can be hot spots, pyoderma or impetigo if there are any sores.Please compare to this link:

What you can do is go to your local pharmacy and get some Burrows solution. This is drying agent. Many time you will find it in a name brand called Domeboro. Just ask the pharmacist what brand names they use. This is used for hot spots. It will help fight infection and decrease itchiness. Clip the hair away in the areas as well before using the drying solution.

Use an antiseptic shampoo called Chlorhexiderm. This in combination with the burrow's solution, will heal hot spots and relieve dryness and itching.

PYODERMA:from Merk:

The primary treatment of superficial pyoderma is with appropriate antibiotics for ≥21 and preferably 30 days. All clinical lesions (except for complete regrowth of alopecic areas and resolution of hyperpigmented areas) should be resolved for at least 7 days before antibiotics are discontinued. Chronic, recurrent, or deep pyodermas typically require 8-12 wk or longer to resolve completely.
First-time bacterial pyoderma can be treated with empiric antibiotic therapy such as lincomycin, clindamycin, erythromycin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim-sulfadiazine, chloramphenicol, cephalosporins, amoxicillin trihydrate-clavulanic acid, or ormetoprim-sulfadimethoxine.
Amoxicillin, penicillin, and tetracyline are inappropriate choices for treating superficial or deep pyodermas because they are ineffective in 90% of these cases. Fluoroquinolones should not be used for empiric therapy. Severe deep pyoderma, recurrent pyoderma, or first-time bacterial pyodermas that do not respond to therapy should be treated based on culture and sensitivity.
Topical antibiotics may be helpful in focal superficial pyoderma. A 2% mupiricin ointment penetrates skin well and is helpful in deep pyoderma, is not systemically absorbed, has no known contact sensitization, and is not used as a systemic antibiotic that would increase the likelihood of cross-resistance. It is not very effective against gram-negative bacteria. This ointment should not be used in cats with any known or suspected history of renal disease because the preparation contains propylene glycol. Neomycin is more likely to cause a contact allergy than other topicals and has variable efficacy against gram-negative bacteria. Bacitracin and polymyxin B are more effective against gram-negative bacteria than other topical antibiotics but are inactivated in purulent exudates.
Attention to grooming is often overlooked in the treatment of both superficial and deep pyoderma. The hair coat should be clipped in patients with deep pyoderma and a professional grooming is recommended in medium- to longhaired dogs with generalized superficial pyoderma. This will remove excessive hair that can trap debris and bacteria and will facilitate grooming. Longhaired cats usually benefit most from having the hair coat clipped.
Dogs with superficial pyoderma should be bathed 2-3 times/wk during the first 2 wk of therapy and then 1-2 times until the infection has resolved. Dogs with deep pyoderma may require daily hydrotherapy. Medicated shampoos should be prediluted 1:2 to 1:4 prior to application to facilitate lathering, dispersal, and rinsing. Appropriate antibacterial shampoos include benzoyl peroxide, chlorhexidine, chlorhexidine-ketoconazole, ethyl lactate, and triclosan. Shampooing will remove bacteria, crusts, and scales, as well as reduce the pruritus, odor, and oiliness associated with the pyoderma. Clinical improvement in superficial pyodermas may not be evident for a least 14-21 days, and recovery may not be as rapid as expected. Full Image Full Image Full Image
View Full Image

"Shampoos: While degreasing shampoos such as the benzoyl peroxide (oxydex®,
pyoben®) and sulfur/salicylate (sebolyte®, sebolux®) shampoos will help remove the skin oils feeding the yeast, there are shampoos that are specifically anti-yeast. We prefer the 4% Chlorhexidine shampoo called Chlorhexiderm Max as it both strips skin oil and kills yeast; however, other anti-yeast products include Selsun Blue, Miconazole shampoo, Nizoral shampoo, and more. The pet must be bathed twice a week to start and the shampoo requires a 15 minute contact time (meaning do not rinse the lather for 15 minutes). "

People food will not hurt him as long as there is no onion or garlic in it. Try eliminating all Corn and gluten for a week and see if the itching stops.

Give him a daily vitamin suppliment with omega 3 fatty acids.

Dogs are carnivores and do not derive much beneft from grains or carbs.Some food is loaded with corn and gluten which can promote allergies and the skin is aways where you see it on a dog.

The product is Sasco aloe-lyptus cream

All you have to do is put down some Diatomaceous earth in your yard and a few pots in the house and you and your baby will never see another flea, fly, worm, etc.

I am in Florida where fleas/bugs/worms are active 24/7/365 and it works like a charm for me.

I hope I have covered every possibility.

Try the above treatments and see if it resolves this.

I hope it does and your baby (and you) get relief very soon.Please let me know how he is doing.

I will always be here for both of you.

Warmest best wishes,