Gina, Animal Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in pet health care, breeder of English Mastiffs, barnyard, knowledgeable aquarium keeper.

My dog ate a hair rubber band. He appeared to chew it into ...

My dog ate a hair rubber band. He appeared to chew it into pieces first. Is this an emergency
Category: Pet
Expert:  Gina replied 8 years ago.
Given the size of your dog, if it was a normal size rubber band, he should be able to pass it, especially if he chewed it apart first. You can go ahead and feed him some canned dog food, an extra meal or two along with a couple tablespoons of plain canned pumpkin as the extra food and fiber will help to push this through the GI tract faster and safer. If he shows symptoms like vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain, lethargy or refusal of food and water, then do have him checked out by your vet. He should pass this in the next 24-48 hours. :) Good luck