Dr. Angela
Dr. Angela, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years private practice in small animal and exotics
9168612

My guinea pig had a crusty eye this morning and some runny ...

My guinea pig had a crusty eye this morning and some runny stool. This is our third guinea pig in a month, the first two dying suddenly. We feed it guinea pig food, vegetables, and give it vitamin c drops in its food. We don''t understand why our first two guinea pigs died and why this one just got sick. We''ve only had it for a week.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Angela replied 6 years ago.
I can't say for sure why your other two guinea pigs died or why this one is sick. You said they eat guinea pig food and vegetables. You didn't mention hay. Hay and dark green leafy vegetables are the two most important parts of a guinea pig's diet. A guinea pig should never run out of hay, ever. It's so important in their diet. The vegetables should be things like dark green Romaine lettuce, parsley, dandelion greens, mustard greens, collard greens, endive, escarole, etc. For bedding, I recommend paper bedding, no pine or cedar shavings. Brands are Care Fresh or Yesterday's News. Anyway, these are general recommendations. Right now, you have a sick guinea pig on your hands and he needs intervention. He sounds like he has a respiratory infection. He may need antibiotics. If he is eating well, pooping normally and active, you can just wipe out his eyes and see if he gets over his cold. However, guinea pigs are very fragile (as you know from your other two guinea pigs dying), and it would be best if you got him to a vet asap for a check up. I hope I've given you helpful answers.
Dr. Angela, Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years private practice in small animal and exotics