Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

dog cant stand on back legs

Dog was taken to vet and Dr. said he would have to be left overnight that he did not know what was wrong with him. Dr.says theres a 70% chance he wont walk again?! Yesterday we cut his nails and there was no problem with that. He didnt wimper or seemed hurt by it in any way. I know if you cut to much you cut the quick and bleeding will occur this was not the case though. Was cutting his nails possibly the reason for his condition now or was this coincidental.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear this has happened to your dog. Cutting his nails, even if you did it wrong, could not cause a problem this serious. There may be a spinal injury, condition, or disease that has caused the problem. If your vet is unable to help, it would be a good idea to find a specialist. Most veterinary teaching hospitals have specialists on staff. This link will take you to a directory of such hospitals:

I would like to give you some idea of what might be wrong with your dog, but I'm afraid there are so many possibilities that I can't do that. This kind of condition can even be difficult for vets to diagnose, and often many tests must be done. If you want to read about some possibilities, this link has a list with information about each:

You have enough to worry about with a dog in a medical crisis, and frightened kids. Please don't add to your worries by blaming yourself. You're not responsible. If you have additional questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your dog will recover.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)