Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I have a argentine black and white tegu that is sick, not ...

I have a argentine black and white tegu that is sick, not eating, film over one eye and frothing at mouth?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

From what you have described this sounds like a Respiratory Infection and will need to be addressed by Herp Vet. You can try to up the temperatures, soak in 1/2 Pedialyte and 1/2 water. Make sure that it is warm when the Tegu goes back into the habitat. I would like to see you try to take some Chicken baby food and add some plain Calcium, and Pedialyte to the mixture to try and get some food into the Tegu if it is not eating. If you can supply a City and staet i will try to locate a Herp Vet in your area. When you see the Vet. bring a stool sample becasue parasites can cause an additional stress on the body. Joan

http://my.pclink.com/~dkelley/monitors.htm#res

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Jav917's Post: i don't have any stool samples to supply vet, I live on Center Street, Marshalltown, Iowa 50158, it was eating good up until just about 4 days ago, still drinking a little water
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

This is the lisings I have for Herp Vets in IA. The Vet can do a swab and may be able to get something on a stool if you do get one before you go put in a bag and refrigerate it. Keep trying to get some fluids into the tegu. You can pull up some Pedailyte with calcium powder disolved in it and drop on the snout in hopes the Tegu will lick it. Do the same with the chicken baby food mixture. Do not try to force feed since that is stressfull as well as the Tegu can aspirate into the lungs. Try the soaks with the Pedialyte and water since they do absorb fluids through the vent area.The Tegu really needs to be seen asap. Joan

* Ross Dirks
Spirit Lake(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Michael Doolen
Small Animal Teaching Hospital
Iowa State University
Ames 50010(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Fort Madison Veterinary ClinicXXXXX & Hwy. 61 W
Fort Madison 52627(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Rick Harmon
Oaks Vet ClinicXXXXXbr />Des Moines 50310

S. C. Merritt DVM, etc.
Siouxland Animal Hospital
2030 IndXXXXX XXXXXs Dr.
Sioux City(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Todd Oss
Singing Hills Animal HospitalXXXXX
Sioux City 51106(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Kathy Van Buer
North Brady Animal Hospital
6011 North Brady Street
Davenport(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>