Dr. Angela
Dr. Angela, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years private practice in small animal and exotics

My cat was given a prescription for Atenolol and ...

Customer Question

My cat was given a prescription for Atenolol and Enalapril. He has the condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. He is 17 years old and had advanced heart disease. He was already treated for congestive heart failure. I''m concerned that the dose is too high for his age and his size. I was told to give him 1ML (6.25 MG)by mouth twice a day. His medicine is in liquid form. Is this within the normal range for Atenolol or should he be on a lesser amount to start?
Submitted: 8 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Angela replied 8 years ago.
Chris, 6.25 mg twice daily is the usual starting dose of atenolol. Good of you to double check though if you're in doubt. Let me know if you have more questions. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Angela K. Duke, DVM's Post: Is it true that a cat can be given as high as 1ML (12.5MG) twice daily? Your answer is what I was looking for because my cat is tiny, old, and I wasn't sure if the dose was too high. I also just wanted to double check what the highest dose is for 1ML twice (Atenolol) daily for a cat?
Chris: Yes, you can go as high as 12.5 mg twice daily. It's unusual in my experience to need to go that high but it is listed in the literature as being labeled to go that high. Best wishes.