Ask Nora the Parrot / Pet Advisor Your Ow...
Nora the Parrot / Pet Advisor
Nora the Parrot / Pet Advisor, Breeder
Experience:  over 25 years breeding, taming, training parrots.

My parakeets are itching a lot. What can I do to stop it

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Pet
Expert:  Nora the Parrot / Pet Advisor replied 8 years ago.

Hi Juanita,

I need a little more information in order to better help you.

How many birds do you have? Are they all caged together?

How long have they been itching? How are you determining that they are itching?

How long have you had the parakeets?

How often and how do you bathe them?

Please tell me about their diet, including everything you give them, such as cuttle bone, what kind of vitamins you are offering, and all fruits, veggies and people foods.

Once I get this information, I'll be prepared to better help you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We have 3 parakeets, yes all are cage together. I see them scratching with feet, peek and some time against the perch. they been acting like this for the last 3-4 days. One of them for about 3 years, the others for about 4 months. for bath I put a midium size bowl of water and they enjoy it chirping and sprinkling water to themselves. My birds basiclly eat a diet of seeds (Wild Harvest), fresh fruit apples, strawberries, oranges, grapes, minced carrots. As suplement Missing Link super food suplement with omega 3 basic and millet seeds.

Hi Juanita,

I must tell you that you are doing a great job of taking care of your parakeets!

I think your parakeets may be going through a normal molt since it is springtime. Do you see pin feathers on them? If so, then I would not worry about them unless the extra preening and apparent itching continue after the pin feathers are gone or the situation becomes worse.

If you'd like to go ahead and check for feather or blood mites, it is easy enough to do so. First, place a dark piece of paper in the cage bottom at night. Check first thing in the morning to see if there are any light spots on the paper which move. The next night, use a white paper and check the next morning for red specks that move.

If you find either type of parasite potentially present, a vet visit is in order. Don't use over the counter sprays since these can harm the birds and are not very effective. Don't use a "mite protector" either since this contains toxins.

The only dietary improvement I suggest is more fruits and veggies and less seeds, plus adding a cuttle bone. Parakeets should have about 35% seed and it can be hard to get them to accept that low amount of seeds, so change slowly over time to avoid stress. Just offer more fresh foods and a bit less seeds. All parakeets need cuttle bone for health and also direct sunlight or a supplemental light that is full spectrum to produce the effects of the sun so they can absorb the vitamin D from the cuttle bone and other foods.

If I can help further, please use "reply" after accepting this email. I'm adding a few helpful links for you.

Locate an avian vet in your area:

Parakeet Diet:

About mites:

Household dangers:

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
One of my parkeets die today, What kind of illnes is this? I am so sad.