Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  18+ years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist
2361900

My dog just stepped on a rusty nail that penetrated by ...

My dog just stepped on a rusty nail that penetrated by about 1/2" into his ped. Do I need a tetanus shot?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

I suggest soaking the paw 2-3 times a day with warm water and epson salt, disinfecting with hydrogen peroxide and applying neosporin or triple antibiotic cream. I would then use a baby sock to keep the paw clean changing as it gets dirty. Liquid bandage can be used, but I wouldn't as if the wound has bacteria in it, the infection would be trapped in the wound. Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

If you do not see any improvement in a couple of days or it becomes swollen and inflammed, your Vet should see the dog. The following site discusses tetanus as it relates to animals. Read the article to help you make the decision. Dogs are more resistant than humans, but if the chance is high (which it sounds like it is), I would probably have the shot given.

Hope this helps.