NancyH, Pet Health Care, Rescue,Train,Breed
Experience:  30+yrs pet vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior & training, responsible breeding, small animal care

What kind of antibiotics are given to dogs for a dog ...

Customer Question

What kind of antibiotics are given to dogs for a dog on dog bite? My dog was bitten by my father''s dog. It''s not bleeding out, but it is a hole slightly smaller than a pencil eraser just below her jaw. i''ve cleaned it and put anti-biotic ointment on it, but i''d like to order some meds online if i can. would a bite that size normally need to be stitched up?
Submitted: 8 years ago via
Category: Pet
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
Normally they do not stitch up dog bites because the hole in the skin is usually the least of the damage done. The tooth usually pops through the skin and does damage underneath leaving bacteria behind which can cause infection.
You can use warm/hot damp compress on the area to help keep it open and draining. This will also stimulate blood circulation to help fight infection.
Make sure to trim hair back away from the wound area to help keep bacteria out of the bite.
Clean with Betadine iodine solution, chlorhexiderm solution, sterile saline, or 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Apply neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment to wound and scabbed over areas. Keep the dog from licking the ointment off. It won't hurt the dog if it gets licked but it does better on the wound than on the tongue.
I'd do this 3-4 times a day and if you see no improvement or the infection seems to spread get to a vet for oral antibiotics (which would be a good choice anyhow with an infected injury). The oral antibiotics typically used are all prescription ones. Common antibiotic choices include amoxicillin, clavamox, cephalexin, cefadroxil or enrofloxacin.
Hope this helps you!

Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much. This was a much better value than paying $200.00+ just for walking through the vet door. Of course, if it looks abnormal or her appetite/attitude changes in any way, I'll get her straight there, it's just at the moment I work during the Vet hours around here (in the sticks) and it is not a possibility for me to get any time off.    It seems this should be a an issue that can be handled at home with care. Thanks again.
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
You are very welcome! thanks for the accept!