Amy P.
Amy P., Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  10 years in animal field, 5 years working as a Vet Tech, pet owner

Is it safe to use Baby Orajel on a dog

My 5 year old Chihuahua has developed some sort of gum or mouth pain over the last 24 hours. Since today is SUnday, we can not get her into the vet until tomorrow. To ease her pain can we use Baby Orajel? She has always had bad gums and hates tooth brushing...but it has been a week since her last brushing.
How much does your dog weigh?

Is she still eating today?

Does she have any health issues? (besides teeth)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Amy P.'s Post: She weighs 10 pounds, she just has about 3 teaspoons of soft food and she is drinking--I am giving her luke warm water...just thought that would be easier for her to drink. She does not have any medical issues, we just in for her yearly visit and shots last week.
Thanks for the additional information,

Yes, baby oragel can be used in small quantities on a dogs tooth. If a tooth is truly the problem, the application (you rubbing the tooth) can be more painful then the tooth ache itself.

Until you can get to the vet, you can give her a baby aspirin (81mg) with food. This must be Aspirin not Tylenol or Advil which can cause organ damage.

The best type of food and water would be room temperature. Luke warm is better than cold but both warm and cold can cause sensitive issues.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best wishes to you BOTH,