Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinarian. Owner/sole proprietor of mobile veterinary practice for 16 years.

horse has a dislocated shoulder. What can i do to make it go back in.

No Comment Added
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 8 years ago.
Answered via Just Answer Chat.

Hello again!

there seems to have been some technical difficulty with the chat. Sorry about that.

A few more questions:

1): Is the horse putting weight on the limb?

2): Did your vet diagnose the shoulder as dislocated?

3): How long ago did this happen?

4): Did your vet take X-rays or perform an ultrasound exam?

5): Is the horse responding to treatment at all?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
#1 no he will not put weight on the limb just drags.
#2 She couldn't tell till I pointed it out.
# XXXXX it happened on 4/12
# XXXXX didn't perform any xrays no pourable unit with her. and the horse was liening up against the stall wall when I got the call.
# XXXXX he like the messaging and will let me bend from his knee down. Will respond to "look see and raises his hoof.
Just has this god awful lumpy thing of a shoulder dislocation going on. he doesn't like to walk far so I dont' push him to walk more than 4 ft at a time.

Two more quick questions:

1): You mention that he is dragging his leg. Is he able to move the leg forward on his own at all?

2): When he walks is he using the bad leg, is the limg dragging on the ground or does he carry it off of the ground and hop?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
dragging the bad leg. can not move the leg on his own.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly:

It sounds as if your horse is suffering from nerve damage to the limb, specifically the radial nerve, which is why he can't raise or move the leg but is just dragging it.  It is difficult to know exactly what has happened with the shoulder from your description, and I believe it would also be difficult to be able to diagnose the specific problem without performing an X-ray and/or ultrasound exam.  If the humerus bone is indeed out of the socket and has been this way for six days, it will be extremely difficult to reduce it back into the joint without surgery.  As the bone is out of the joint, the attached muscles contract and shrink in size, making it unlikely for the bone to return to it's normal position.  The nerve that is damaged runs next to this joint, and could have been torn during the accident, or could be undergoing compression due to the muscle damage/bone dislocation.  This does not sound as if this problem will repair itself with stall rest and bute.

I haven't asked where you are located, but I strongly recommend that you take your horse to a University teaching hospital or Equine clinic for evaluation.  If that is not possible, please find a vet who has portable equipment and is able to evaluate your friend at your home.  Longer waiting in this type of situation lessens the possibility for a good outcome.

I wish I had a simple fix and answer for you, but your equine friend has a complex problem. 

I truly hope you can get him the help he needs!

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wish you the best of luck.