Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

my tortoise is not moving,his limbs are out and his head is ...

my tortoise is not moving,his limbs are out and his head is in with his mouth open,his my tortoise dead

Can you see the tortoise's eyes? If so, are they open or closed? Do they seem sunken?

When you lift him, do his legs just hang down?

What happened to him - did he get too cold?

Do his legs feel warm or cold?

How long have you had him in a warm place?

What kind of tortoise is he?

Thank you for the additional information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Anna's Post: his eyes are closed...his legs just hung,they didnt feel freezing cold,found him at 6.00pm to night,so wrapped him up at about 6.30pm,and he bin there since,dont kno what type of breed he is sorry,he big tho...he has bin active since waking...
Thank you. I need just a bit more information to clarify.

Is this a wild tortoise that you found or a pet that you've owned for awhile?

Has he moved at all since you brought him in?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Anna's Post: he his a pet,the owner before me had him for 20 years,i have had him for nearly 2 years and yes he was very active last year and he woke in march this year and has been walking around
OK. Because of the shell, it can be very difficult to tell if a tortoise or turtle is dead or alive. Dead tortoises usually have the head and all four legs outside the shell. They often appear limp, and feel limp when you touch them. Eyes may be sunken, but that can also be a sign of dehydration in a living tortoise. The eyes in a dead tortoise are usually open. The skin of a dead tortoise may feel warm to the touch, rather than cold. Since the tortoise was cold to begin with, there wouldn't have been a skin change right away if he is dead.

I recommend soaking the tortoise. Make a room temperature shallow bath of 1/2 water and 1/2 unflavored Pedialyte (made for human infants). Soak the tortoise in it for 30 to 60 minutes. Be sure the water is not deep enough to cover the nostrils. Afterward, continue to watch for any signs of movement and keep him warm. You can put him under a basking light at about 85 degrees for awhile.

You could find out for certain if your tortoise is dead by taking him to a reptile vet. A vet could also provide the best treatment if the tortoise is alive, too. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

I wish I could give you a more definite answer, but unless the tortoise is very obviously dead, it's best to give it the benefit of the doubt and see what happens. If you have further questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for your advice,could you let me kno were i am able to purchase unflavoured pedialyte...thanks again
If you're in the USA, you'll be able to buy it at a pharmacy or discount store. If you're in the UK, the product will have a different name. It's just an electrolyte solution made for human infants. A druggist or pharmacist should be able to direct you to the right product.

(If you've found my answer helpful, please click once on ACCEPT. Thank you.)