Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  15 years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist
2361900

My male dog is bleeding from his private part what could caus this

Customer Question

driping blood out of the end of his penis
Category: Pet
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 years ago.
Hi Harold,

Bleeding from the penis could indicate an injury to the penis, a prostrate problem, blood in the urine or be a sign that there is a female in heat around.

Blood in the urine can signal a few different things such as a Urinary tract infection, kidney problem or an injury. However, it is not unusual for an intact male dog to shed a few drops of blood from his penis when he is aware of females in heat. So if the bleeding is just a few drops, then you do not need to worry about it. If it is a larger amount or your dog is neutered, you will want to have your dog examined by your vet.

I hope this information is helpful to you.
Experience: 15 years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you when he does this he also pants heavly
does that mean a dog in heat is around
Harold,

Dogs pant for various reasons. They pant to cool down, but they also pant when they are under stress, in pain, or afraid. There can also be medical causes such as neurological problems, respiratory disorders, and Heart problems such as heartworm, anemia, and fever. So if your dog is trying to escape, or you know there is a dog in heat close by, then the stress might cause panting. But it could also indicate pain from an injuty.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: he is panting heavly most at night when he drips
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: Jane Lefler he is panting heavly most at night when he drips blood.
Harold,

If this is an ongoing issue, you should have him seen by your vet. A few drops may be considered normal, but more than that along with the panting would warrant a vet visit.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: Jane Lefler he is panting heavly most at night when he drips blood.and is it a charge every time i ask a ? or is it a one time fee ?
Harold,

I did answer. If it is dripping blood almost every night along with panting then it should be addressed by your vet. Many vets will recommend neutering as a solution to this problem.   

As long as the questions are related to this one, there is only the one charge. New questions unrelated to this would be separate and require a separate payment.