Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

my guinea pig has a white mucus from his eye, what does this mean

No Comment Added

A discharge from the eye can indicate so many different things that it would be difficult to say exactly what is causing this. It could be anything from a slight injury to the earliest sign of an upper respiratory infection. Since it's only one eye, there's a good chance it's caused by an injury or some kind of irritant that got into that eye. If you've recently changed the type of litter/bedding that you use, you may want to return to the original type. Some kinds can be irritating.

Guinea pigs do normally have a white eye discharge ("sleep" dirt), but they clean it off themselves.   You're on the right track with your gentle cleaning of the eye. After wiping it, put in some saline drops several times a day. The kind used for contact lenses is fine. If the eye doesn't improve within 24 hours, or if your guinea pig develops a nasal discharge or a cough, it would be best to call a vet. Here's a link where you can read more about the various causes of eye discharges in Guinea pigs:

If you have any more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your guinea pig's eye clears up quickly.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)