Dr Janet
Dr Janet, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVSc (Pretoria 1998) MRCVS 1998
8421980

my guinea pig is not moving, when he does move he seems to ...

my guinea pig is not moving, when he does move he seems to hop rather than walk, he squeaks in pain when i pick him up to see if he is ok.... he does not seem to eat/drink himself but will take food or water if feed to him..... he does not seem to be excreteing either...... he looks very weak and will just stay in one place of his cage.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr Janet replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

How long has this been going on?

Does he live alone?

Has he lost weight?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I started to notice the difference a week ago He hasnt lost weight, if anything he looks slightly larger He does live alone now as we lost his friend about a month ago and he was exhibiting the same symptoms before he died! He was very lively even after his friend died, actually seemed more content, then he slowly started to show the same symptoms
Expert:  Dr Janet replied 6 years ago.

OK

I would be very worried that this guinea-pig could be going the same way as the friend, sadly. I would be most concerned that you have seen a reduction in the feces production. It makes me think there is a gut stasis problem and possibly a bit of gassy bloat too. It is very painful for them and stops them wanting to move about at all. If it does not improve it will usually be fatal.

It may be best to have a vet confirm this is the problem, if you want the best chance of saving this pig. In the meantime, you need to syringe feed as much as possible. Dehydration is a big risk so making sure you are giving plenty of water and also liquidised food. There are special recovery solution available for rabbits and g-pigs but if you do not have access to these today try syringing vegetable pureed baby food. This is second best but better than nothing.

I do hope this helps your little pig.

Dr Janet, Veterinarian
Experience: BVSc (Pretoria 1998) MRCVS 1998