Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

Hamster Stroke

Customer Question

My hamster is 2 years and 4 months old and I believe he had a stroke because he is exhibiting all the signs. My main concern is that he is eating very little because of the enegry it takes to hold up him head. Can he have things like baby food and plain Pedialite.   I know he is old and may not make it but I want him to be as comfortable as possible. What advise can you give me.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.

It sounds like your doing a good job of taking care of your hamster. Many hamsters recover from strokes over a period of 2 to 3 weeks. As you know, it's important that during the recovery time, your hamster be kept warm enough, and gets plenty of food and water. You can give water from a syringe into the side of his mouth. Plain Pedialyte is a good idea - a few drops at a time. Baby food is also acceptable. Varieties with egg or meat and vegetable mixes would provide protein. You can also feed him warm milk with a little honey in it. You should place his cage in a quiet area of the house and let him sleep all he wants. The less he is disturbed, the better.

Strokes do sometimes leave permanent effects, such as a tilted head, and sometimes hamsters do die from strokes. There isn't anything else you can do beyond the above steps because there is no veterinary treatment for strokes in hamsters.

If you have further questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your hamster will make a full recovery.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)