Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate

Upset stomach in a pomeranian.

Customer Question

My Pom has been sick (dark yellow substance) , hasn’t pooed/eaten for 28hrs. His diet includes: boiled pork, cooked chicken legs, Pedigree CPA complex treats & Milky bones biscuits. He eats once a day at lunch time, he’s about 10 human yrs old (4kg), has all his strong teeth, chews boiled ribs & chicken drums. He’s only let out into huge private garden as many times as he wishes. His coat’s shaved every 2 weeks as he gets fits when overheats. He’s had more than one a day pedigree joint care treats (2 a day for the last 30 days) his back legs weakened, it helped really quickly & this is the only dog food he ever eats. He has been on this diet since pupyhood, we tried dog food with our local vet but he said it’s not necessary as he’s healthy. I have read about chicken bones causing upset stomachs, but he’s had those forever & this never happened before. There’s also a cat poo in the garden. Please advice how to help him. Thank you. Ana
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.

HI there,

I am so sorry to hear that your Pom is unwell!

I am concerned because he is taking in so little water, and no calories. Because he is small, he may have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). I would like you to go right away and treat him for that by rubbing a 1/2 teaspoon of honey, karo syrup, corn syrup or pancake syrup on his gums, or let him lick it off your fingers if he will do that.

Please go do that now, and then come back and we can talk more!

Fiona

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear Fiona, I cannot believe this, as soon as I placed a question, foxy (he was lying n a bed next to me) has got up went to his plate and ate everything on it and drunk lots of water. He had pieces of cooked pork chicken meat and some boiled rice mixed together, now he is playing with my son. Should I still go and do for the honey/syrup? Thank you for your help, at the moment I am really worried that he might throw up all that food. I told my son to leave him alone to digest his meal so he did, but foxy is playing with himself on his own, rolling round and round again and again.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.

No, don't bother with the honey now! He should have enough calories in there that I am no longer worried about low blood sugar!

Please let me know if he does vomit, or still cannot pass a bowel movement. I will be here to help!

Fiona

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear Fiona, thank you. I am waiting to see what happens next. Ana&Foxy
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.

Ana,

That sounds good! I will be here for the next 1/2 hour, and then have appointments for 2 hours. Then I will be back!

Fiona