Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
7995545

Hello! My dogs gums are growing over his teeth and around ...

Customer Question

Hello! My dogs gums are growing over his teeth and around them. Is there anything you can do to get rid of this? Will is hurt him if it dose not get treated?                     jamie
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 8 years ago.

Hi Jamie!

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your dog with this problem.

What you are describing is probably an oral tumour. As with tumours elsewhere in the body, some are benign and some are malignant. One of the most common ones is something called Epulis and this is genereally benign.

This is something that should be seen by your veterinarian because removal may be necessary. If it is benign, then it will not hurt him if it does not get removed. If it is malignant, however, it could spread elsewhere in his body and be life-threatening.

Because this could be serious, I would have him examined soon. I hope that is is benign epulis, but it will need to be tested in order to know this.

If this has been helpful, please Accept my answer and leave feedback. If you need more information, just hit reply!

Best wishes! Fiona