Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  15 years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist
2361900

My 1yr and half yorkie has had an upset stomach today ,not ...

My 1yr and half yorkie has had an upset stomach today ,not eating and has had incidents of vomiting.Lots of stomach gurgling. what can i give her to settle her stomach?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 years ago.
Hi C.trotter,

Dog's can vomit for a number of different reasons. They vomit if given an unusual (to them) treat, a change of diet can do it, if they eat too much, some vomit if they eat grass, they vomit if they don't eat sometimes, vomit if they have a throat irritation, disease can be a cause, poisoned, and various other causes. You will want to put a drop of pancake syrup on her tongue to boost her glucose levels and prevent hypoglycemia. Be sure she is drinking fluids to keep her from becoming dehydrate. Replacing water with pedialyte helps as well.

Many things including gas, something they ate, parasites or even bad bacteria in the stomach can cause stomach noises. . You can give your dog some pepcid. Read about dosages and usage information here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

Adding good bacteria to your dog's stomach can aid in the digestion and cut down on stomach noises as well. I use a spoonful of plain unflavored yogurt on my dog's food to keep good bacteria in their stomach, but there are products, such as Prozyme, that can be purchased at your pet store to aid digestion. If these stomach noises continue over a period of time, you will want your Vet to check her over as other conditions can cause stomach noises as well.

You might try some pepto-bismol which can be given to a dog at 1 tsp per 5 pounds every 6 hours for upset stomach, gas, or diarrhea.
Be sure and read the important note below before trying any of these methods. If your dog ate a non-food item, bone or rawhide recently and is experiencing other symptoms such as vomiting, not eating or drinking, severe abdominal pain, the dog needs to see a vet. The above signs could indicate an intestinal obstruction, which you can read about here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

if your dog becomes dehydrated. You can tell by pulling up the skin between his shoulder blades and seeing if it flows back down normally. If it stays tented or is slow to return to normal, your dog is dehydrated and needs fluids immediately and should see a vet as soon as possible.

If gums and tongue become pale and not a normal pink color or the rectal temperature is over 103F (101-102F is normal) or your dog becomes lethargic and non-responsive, your dog should also see a vet as soon as possible.

I hope you find this information helpful.
Experience: 15 years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your help. Good information. I will try your advice and see if she is better today. if not I'll take her to the vet. It would have to be on the weekend and I'll have to take the Vet that is on call. Thanks again   -C. Trotter