Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

There seems to be a bump on my hamsters stomach and ...

There seems to be a bump on my hamsters stomach and the fur around it is all wet. Is that something I should be worried about?

Is your hamster a dwarf hamster or a Syrian (fancy, teddy bear, golden)?

Is there an odor to the wetness?

Thank you for the additional information.

Anna
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Its a dwarg hamster I think and there is no odor.
Male dwarf hamsters have a scent gland located on the stomach about where a belly button would be. It's often first noticed when the hamster reaches sexual maturity. The scent gland is often mistaken for a tumor, but it's perfectly normal. It can be pink or yellowish in color. In nature, the liquid you see coming out is how they mark territory. The hair surrounding the scent gland can appear wet or oily at different times. Unless the area is red or swollen, which would indicate an infection, there's nothing to worry about. You can read a little more about these glands by scrolling down to "scent glands" on this page:

http://www.hamsterific.com/RussianHamster.cfm

If you have any other questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks so much. That helped! :)
You're welcome. Thank you for the accept.

Anna