Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinarian. Owner/sole proprietor of mobile veterinary practice for 14 years.
8634083

today my pet goat is throwing up.. she looks a bit bloated ...

Customer Question

today my pet goat is throwing up.. she looks a bit bloated other wise she seems fine. Our family has just gone through the stomach bug that is going around. Oh I should tell you the goat lives in the house with us. She is a therphy goat. My concern is will she die if she throws up her cud? One person told me to give her baking soda to settle her stomah.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 6 years ago.
Answered via Just Answer Chat.
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience: Equine Veterinarian. Owner/sole proprietor of mobile veterinary practice for 14 years.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It looks like cud.. chopped hay.
We are feeding her hay cubes because we only have one and she stays in the house.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can't seem to be getting your answers.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You have taken my money but didn't answer my question. Am I doing something wrong?

Hello again!

There must have been some technical problems with the chat.

Anyway, a few questions for you so I can help:

How often is this occurring?

What approximate amount of material are you seeing?

How long has she been eating the hay cubes?

And to rest your mind at ease, goats cannot contract the same type of stomach virus that people get!

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX look forward to helping you.

Hello again

Sorry if you are having problems with the site. I'll try to answer your question with the information I have, as you should get your money's worth!

If your goat is new to the diet she is getting, she may be adjusting to the new diet. If not, and this is a new development, she may be experiencing some minor bloat, causing an acid environment in her rumen. If so, your friend was correct in telling you that baking soda can help. Baking soda acts to neutralize the acid in the rumen, getting the rumen pH back to normal. It's difficult to guess the weight of your goat, as less than a year could be from a few to 11 months, which is a wide weight variation. One thing you can do (which I do with my own goats) is to provide an open box with a box of baking soda dumped into it. This allows her to "free feed" the baking soda, and goats will usually eat the amount that they need. You can also dissolve baking soda in water and give it to her using a large syringe or turkey baster. I would recommend mixing approximately 10 tablespoons with 1 cup of warm water. I would also recommend picking up a product called "Probios" at your local feed/supply store and giving her the amount suggested on the label for her weight. This product contains natural micoorganisms which can help to return the rumen back to normal function.

And no, your goat will not die from throwing up her cud. The only danger here is if she were to accidentally inhale some of the liquid into her lungs, she could be susceptable to contracting pneumonia. Also, if she is vomiting large amounts and unable to hold any feed down, she would eventually become dehydrated. If this were to be the case I would get her to a Veterinarian immediately. Hopefully, this is not the case with her.

I hope this helps you, and that you receive this answer. Please let me know if I can help further.

Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Again Thank you so much your advise was very helpful. LoLa is doing better.
I'm glad I could help!