Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

My dog is currently eating less than usual. He usually ...

My dog is currently eating less than usual. He usually wolfs down his food in seconds, canned or dried food. Since yesterday morning he has only been willing eat dog biscuits and canned food. He's not touching any of his dried food. This is really unusual for him leaving food in his dish!
His bowel movement is normal, his stool is normal. He's a little less hyper and more mellow since yesterday morning.
What's wrong with him? Should I take him to see the vet? My boyfriend thinks he's got the flu, but does dogs get the flu?
He regularly goes to the doggie park, all his shots are currently up to date!
He hasn't shown any other symptoms besides not eating all his food and being less active.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Hi Jeannie,
I just want to confirm a few things...
Is your dog having any vomiting or diarrhea?
This has only been going on since yesterday morning?
He is eating....just not all of his food?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No Diarrhea or vomiting.

That's right just since yesterday morning. He won't eat any of his dry food, but ate all the canned food last night and a small dog biscuit this morning. But he usually has a HUGE appetite...

Also, he seems a bit warmer than usual.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
It is good that he is not having any vomiting or diarrhea and still has a small appetite. That means that hopefully, this is nothing to get too worried about. Inappetance and lethargy are very nonspecific signs, and may just be caused by a minor virus that is making him uncomfortable. He certainly may be running a fever, but you won't be able to determine this without taking his temperature.
My best recommnedation to you, is to just keep your eye on him for today. If this is a simple virus, he should be feeling much better by tomorrow morning. As long as he is drinking water, he should be fine. If he continues to be lethargic and inappetant tomorrow morning, then you should take him into the veterinarian to see if there is something more serious going on.
I hope that this information is of help to you, and that your dog feels better soon. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there a way I can make him drink water if he isn't?
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Just keep offering him fresh, cool (not ice cold) water in a clean bowl.
You can check on his hydration by lifting his upper lip and feeling the gum tissue above his teeth. If it is wet and slimy then he is well-hydrated. If it is dry and sticky then he needs to have some fluid.
You can try and entice him to drink by using a syringe or medicine dropper to suck up some water. Place the tip of the dropper at the corner of his mouth and try to wiggle it into his mouth opening above his tongue. Then squirt a little bit in. This may make him feel more like drinking, once he has the sensation of the water in his mouth.