Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

My older dog ( 5 year old great dane) Is having incontinent ...

My older dog ( 5 year old great dane) Is having incontinent episodes while sleeping and it wakes her up. What could this be a sign of?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Does this only occur while she is asleep?
How often does it happen?
When did it start?
Have you noticed any increase in the amount of water she is drinking?
Is she eating okay?
Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This only occurs during sleep. It happened 2 times the past week. It happened several years ago, but went away as quickly. She is eating OK. She hasn't had vomiting. No Diarrhea. Maybe a slight increase in drinking water. She also has Discoid Lupus which is being treated with. Tetracycline, Niacinamide, Vitamin E and fish oil.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Most female dogs who wet their bed in their sleep have urinary incontinence. This is due to a weak urethral sphincter causing some urine leakage, and it is a very common problem. The first step that needs to be taken is to have her in to the vet for a physical examination. The vet will also want to do some urine and blood laboratory tests to make sure that she is not leaking due to an overproduction of urine from something like diabetes or kidney diseases. Once any reason for overproduction of urine is ruled out, the vet will then treat her as a case of urinary incontinence. This involves lifetime maintenance on a drug called phenylpropanolamine (PPA).
I am attaching a client information handout that I use in my practice concerning this problem. I hope that you find it useful.

Click Here

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K