Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Animal Healthcare expert
Experience:  Expert in pet health and behavior. 20 year experience with animals.

i think my dog has a sore throat. she has been ...

i think my dog has a sore throat. she has been constantly swallowing and licking, and the swallow is audible and it looks like she is uncomfortable when she swallows. I''ve seen her do this before and after a day or so it would go away...what can I give her to soother her throat, assuming it is a sore throat, and not something else?

Hi Jaime,

How long ago did she do this before?

Does she get bones, greenies or rawhide or chew non food items?

when and what did she eat last?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: She actually enjoyed a bully stick lastnight...we thought that could be it...maybe she scratched her throat? The last time this happened was probably over a year ago, when we moved into our new house...doesn't happen all that often. She just ate her breakfast for today and she didn't seem to have any trouble swallowing the food (which is canned) and she didn't look uncomfortable eating...

Dear Jaime,

I am sorry your girl is not feeeling well.

Dogs dont get "sore throats" the way we do but they can irritate the esophous swallowing a big piece or rough item.

Check inside her mouth for anything stuck, a bad tooth or any abnormalites.

She may have a bit of an upset tummy.She cn have a tsp of pepto bismal which will coat her entire GI tract.

You can also give her an inch of cat hairball remedy or a dab of vaseline to swallow.

If she continues swallowing and licking I would pick up any dog food.Try a small amount of boiled chicken with all fat drained off, cottage cheese, or baby food with no onion, beef, turkey, etc

Go very slow so she does not throw it up.

Dogs get dehydrated and hypoglcemic very easily.

Add unflavored pedialyte to her water 50/50 to hydrate her and balance her electrolytes.

Put a drop of pancake syrup on her tongue to raise her blood sugar in case she is a bit hypoglycemic. That should perk her up.

Do not allow her to drink a lot at a time If she throws up water, she can lick ice

She may have any human OTC at scroll down for products and dosages.

Keep her on that very light diet of boiled chicken or cottage cheese for 48 hours. Also give her one teaspoon a day of plain yogurt to keep "good" bacteria in her system.

If she developes any adominal pain, bloating, constipation or cannot keep anything down she needs to be seen by a vet right away

Please let me know how she is doing. I will be here for you all weekend

I hope your baby feels better very soon..

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much. You have been very helpful in helping me understand what may be wrong with her and how to possibly make her feel better! Thanks again...

You are very welcome. It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thanks for your accept!