Patricia
Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.
1035247

African Grey Parrot. 10 Years Old. Symptoms -Constant ...

African Grey Parrot. 10 Years Old. Symptoms -Constant Wheezing when breathing, But seems well otherwise, eating & drinking ok.
he is kept in the house with another 12 year old female african grey in a very large cage
the 12 year lod female is very well
Category: Pet
Expert:  Patricia replied 6 years ago.
Hello Kurt. This is not at all good. If he is making any kind of sound as he breathes, whether wheezing, clicking or anything else, he is in trouble. He may "seem" to be well otherwise but that's all it is; a pretense. One of the problems we have with our parrots is their very strong instinct to mask all symptoms of illness or injury, from us. In the wild, they are prey and to show weakness is to get kicked out of the safety of the flock. By the time we see any symptoms, it's because they are too sick and too weak to keep up the pretense. A couple of the first things we will be able to notice is a change in behavior, (less playing, less or no talking, etc.), any change in the appearance of the droppings that lasts more than 24 hours and cannot be accounted for by diet. For example, a lot of fruits or veggies one day can make more runny droppings but it should not last more than a day, then go back to normal. Other symptoms are sitting with feathers fluffed, giving up the perches and staying on the cage floor, and sleeping an inordinate amount of time. For now, you need to make sure he does not get chilled and is not in any kind of draft, and keep alert for any of these other symptoms. Keep him as quiet and stress free as possible until you can get in to your avian vet. Just in case you don't have one, I'll give you links to help locate one. Another thing you may be aware of, but for just in case, I'm going to give you some links to information about the many dangerous and toxic things we may have in our houses that can be deadly to parrots. Most things we don't give a thought to because they are harmless to us and to our other pets. But with parrots, some things can kill them, almost within minutes; other things are cumulative and take longer but are just as fatal. Just to mention a few, any aerosol product, burning candles, strong cleaning products, an over heated piece of non stick cookware, using the cleaning cycle of a self cleaning oven, cigarette smoke, any kind of air freshener; the list goes on and on. Another issue with Greys is that they are some of the highest dust/dander birds around. Without proper diet and ample opportunity to bathe thoroughly, they are constantly releasing that into the air and having to breathe it back in. Granted, since they live together, we would expect them to show the same symptoms if they are exposed to the same things. Not necessarily so since one may be more sensitive than the other, one may have a stronger immune system or it may be some kind of bacterial or fungal issue going on that so far, is only affecting one. If they have ever been allowed peanuts in shell, they could be at risk of Aspergillosis. That is a serious respiratory issue caused by spores in the shells. The problem is that peanuts grow underground and often harbor these spores. Also many houseplants are toxic. If you aren't sure whether you have any dangerous items in your home, it would be good to print out these lists and keep them handy. Whatever you do, do not waste your money or his time on any over the counter product from a pet store, no matter what they try to tell you. They do not have anything that will help him. If they did, you would not be able to get it without a prescription and you definitely would not foul his drinking water. Proper and full strength antibiotics must come from a proper vet, they will be given orally with a dropper or syringe and they will be dosed based on the underlying problem and on his body weight. But for right now, you need to get him to the vet asap. I'm sure you understand there is no way I can diagnose specifically for you but I hope this will be helpful. Please don't delay because this will not get better without proper treatment. Let me know if I can help any further. Patricia

Click here: Find your local Avian Veterinarian

Click here: Avian Veterinarians Recommended by Bird Breeders and Owners http://www.birdsnways.com/articles/abvpvets.htm

Click here: Avian Vet List

Click here: BirdsnWays - Avian Veterinarians - Vets - Vet Services for Pet Parrots & Exotic Birds

This one looks like an advertisement for Harrison pellets but they are only sold by vets so it's another good list to check. Click here: Harrison's Bird Foods is a family of certified organic pet bird diets that were formulated to make your bird as he

Click here: Bird Proofing Your Home: Household Hazards for Birds

Click here: Bird Proofing Your Home - Avoid These Pet Bird Hazards

Click here: More Birds Die as a Result of Air Fresheners: That Stinks!!

Click here: The Silent Killer, by Joanie Doss

Click here: Alerts Dangers and Toxins for Pet Birds Parrots

Click here: Toxic and Safe Plants/Trees for Birds - Household Poisons

Click here: Birdsnways - Safe Plants & Trees for pet birds, pet parrots &exotic birds

Potentially Toxic Plants

Toronto Humane Society :: Common Poisonous Plants

Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience: Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.