Theresa
Theresa, Voice for your pet
Experience:  Veterinary Technician for 15 years
1484153

18 year old XXXXX XXXXX Drinking excessive water! Itching ...

Customer Question

18 year old XXXXX XXXXX Drinking excessive water! Itching and sensitivity toward back of dog
Category: Pet
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

Is your girl on any medications?

Any vomiting?

How is her appetite?

Is she walking pretty normally for her?

Any weight loss?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: No meds no vomiting appetite seems normal has been walking a little slow attribute to old age no weight loss!
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

The increased thirst is more of a concern than is the itching right now. I do not how uncomfortable being itchy can be so I will suggest you try a dose of benedryl to see if this creates any improvements. The dosage for dogs is 1mg per pound. If you see no improvement after one dose then don't continue it.

As for the increase in thirst this can indicate a number of condition or cumulative conditions may be present. These include kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes, urinary tract infection, hypothyroidism, and even Cushing's disease. Since your dog has two major symptoms of excessive thirst and skin issues I am leaning more toward a thryoid condition as well as possibly Cushing's disease.

It would be in her best interest to visit the vet this week for bloodwork and a urinalysis to rule out the mentioned ailments above.

Theresa

Theresa, Voice for your pet
Experience: Veterinary Technician for 15 years
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks