Ask TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO Your Own Qu...
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING
1568960

My bubble head fantail goldfish has what looks like a ...

My bubble head fantail goldfish has what looks like a fleshy tumor growing out from his side. It started out small about 15 months age but now is quite large. It once looked as though it would fall off, but then grew larger. The fish seems oblivious to it, eats well and is quite friendly. Do you know what it is or how to treat it
Category: Pet
Expert:  TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO replied 8 years ago.
Aside from the presence of the tumor, is the fish behaving normally, ie, swimming, eating etc etc?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He acts and swims normally. Has no problem eating. Is very friendly and always tries to get our attention to feed him something. I think the tumor or whatever it is bothers us more than him!
Thank you for the additional information as it greatly helps me to assess the situation.

Your goldfish has a benign tumor which is more of a cosmetic issue than a health issue. Goldfish in particular seem to be more suceptible to tumors than other fish for some unknown reason.

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to rid the fish of the tumor. The only thing to watch out for is if the tumor begins to affect the fish's quality of life. An example would be if the tumor became so large that it affected the fish's ability to swim.

So in essence if the fish continues to behave normal and there are no complications resulting from the tumor then there's no need to worry.

I believe with the continued proper care you have been providing the fish he will live for many years to come.

Best wishes.