Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My hamster has a large bump protruding from his scrotum ...

Customer Question

My hamster has a large bump protruding from his scrotum area, red in color, I just noticed this last night, it was not there over the weekend when I had him out. Would constipation cause something to protrude like this? I do not see much stool in the cage. Would a warm compress help to bring this doen in size? He is acting "normal" eating and drinking water, and was walking around ok.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

If the lump is on the scrotum, it's probably not due to constipation. A protrusion from the rectum could be caused by constipation.

Testicular cancer in hamsters is not uncommon, so if it's on the testicle, there's a good chance that's what it is. Neutering is the cure.

If the lump is not actually on the testicle, check to see if it's hard or if it's soft and feels like it may have fluid in it. A hard lump is likely to be tumor.It could be benign or cancerous. Since it's near the body surface, a vet can remove it.

If the lump is soft and seems to be liquid-filled, it's more likely to be an abscess. Your vet can lance it, and then treat your hamster with antibiotics. Don't try to lance it yourself, as it's easy to drive infection further into the body. Here's a site where you can read about the different types of lumps (you'll need to scroll down):

http://www.hamsterific.com/IllnessGuide.cfm#EarMites

I hope you're able to get your little pet treated soon and that he'll recover quickly. If you have further questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience: 40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was an abcess and opened on it's own last night I applied hydrogen peroxide to the area. I hope I did not cause more damamge by doing this.
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
No, that was a good thing to do since it opened. What you should do now is remove any litter/bedding that might stick to the wound. You can let your hamster sleep on an old t-shirt or other soft cloth until he's healed. Clean the area once more with hydrogen peroxide, and follow that with an application of antibiotic ointment. Reapply the ointment twice a day until the abscess heals. During that time, you'll need to watch your hamster closely in case the infection has become systemic. If that happens, you'll need to see a vet for oral or injected antibiotics. Watch for a return of swelling to the area, the hamster losing his appetite, becoming lethargic, or any other symptoms of illness. The wound will probably heal uneventfully, but you do need to keep an eye on the situation.

Let me know if you need more information.

Anna

(If you found the information in my answer useful, please click on ACCEPT. I don't get paid until you do. Thank you.)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you so much for responding. Is neosporin ok even if the hamster licks the area?
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
You're welcome. Neosporin is ok - just don't put on a thick coating, but keep it quite thin.

Anna

I've posted this as an information request so you won't be asked to pay again. There's no need to reply unless you have additional concerns.