Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Animal Healthcare expert
Experience:  Expert in pet health and behavior. 20 year experience with animals.
437368

my chihuahua has gas and I can hear her stomach gurgling, ...

my chihuahua has gas and I can hear her stomach gurgling, loudly. Is there something I can do to help her feel better? If I put pressure on her abdomen, I can feel the fluid and/or air pushing through. She has been flatulent for the past 8 hours. Is this possibly a serious problem? I have never had these issues with her before.
Submitted: 6 years ago via Vet.com.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry your baby is not feeling well.

Give her either a half a pepsid a/c or half gas X tablt or a tsp of digel ASAP.

Or she can have any OTC at www.wolfdancer.org/health scroll down for products and dosages.

She may have a bad tummy ache. I would pick up any dog food.Try a small amount of boiled chicken with all fat drained off, chop meat , or baby food with no onion, beef, turkey, etc

Go very slow so she does not throw it up.

Dogs get dehydrated and hypoglycemic very easily.

Add unflavored pedialyte to her water 50/50 to hydrate her and balance her electrolytes.

Put a drop of pancake syrup on her tongue to raise his blood sugar in case she is a bit hypoglycemic. That should perk her up.

Keep him on that very light diet of boiled chicken or chop meat for 48 hours after all rumbling stops.

Also give her one teaspoon a day of plain yogurt to keep "good" bacteria in her system.

If she develops any abdominal pain, bloating, constipation or cannot keep anything down she needs to be seen by a vet.

Please let me know how she is doing. I will always be here for you

I hope your baby feels better very soon..

Best wishes,

Terri

Terri Riba, Animal Healthcare expert
Experience: Expert in pet health and behavior. 20 year experience with animals.