Patricia, Parrot Consultant
Experience:  Published author, free lance bird behaviorist, adviser to the parrots at Sarasota Jungle Gardens.

How do veteranarians trim parakeets beaks I have a ...

How do veteranarians trim parakeets beaks? I have a parakeet with a very long beak that probably needs trimmed.

Hello Susan. This is not something you can do at home. It would be very dangerous for you to even attempt it without knowing exactly what you are doing. That is not just dead tissue. It still has blood supply and nerves going almost to the tip. However, that is not the main problem you have. A healthy bird will keep his own beak in proper condition and length if he has the right kind of nail trimmer perch and safe chew toys. When a parakeets beak overgrows, the most likely cause is a liver problem. If he has been on a diet that is more than about 30% seeds, then he very likely has fatty liver disease, (Hepatic Lipidosis). Proper diet is that small amount of seed, with no sunflower seeds in it, and with good pellets mixed in the seeds. He also should have plenty of fresh fruits, veggies, leafy greens and many other people foods as the primary part of his diet. I would urge you to get an appointment for him asap with a well qualified Avian vet for a check up. His beak may very well need a trim as it can start to interfere with him being able to eat and drink and it can start growing off to the side, and/or it can even end up puncturing his chest if let go too long. But, it still will need a proper vet to do it. It's not an at home job. Just in case you don't already know a vet who can be trusted with birds, I'll give you some links that I hope will help. I'll also give you some to articles about the consequences of an inadequate diet. I hope this will be helpful for you but if you have any more questions, just let me know. I'll help in anyway I'm able. Patricia

Click here: Grit, Gravel and your Parakeet / Budgie

Click here: Hepatic Lipidosis

Click here: PetCareLibrary - Tumors in Parakeets (

Click here: - Budgie Nutrition

Click here: Toxic and Safe Plants/Trees for Birds - Household Poisons

Click here: Birdsnways - Safe Plants & Trees for pet birds, pet parrots &exotic birds

Click here: Diet: Safe & Toxic Foods

Obesity & Diets (budgies)

Click here: More Birds Die as a Result of Air Fresheners: That Stinks!!

Click here: Bird Proofing Your Home: Household Hazards for Birds

Click here: Bird Proofing Your Home - Avoid These Pet Bird Hazards

Click here: The Silent Killer, by Joanie Doss

Click here: Find local animal hospitals and emergency animal clinics - PETS 911

Click here: Parrots - Avian Vets Recommended - Judy Leach's Parrots - macaws, cockatoos, and african greys

Click here: Find your local Avian Veterinarian

Click here: Avian Veterinarians Recommended by Bird Breeders and Owners

Click here: World Wide Avian Vet Listing

Click here: BirdsnWays - Avian Veterinarians - Vets - Vet Services for Pet Parrots & Exotic Birds

This one looks like an advertisement for Harrison pellets but they are only sold by vets so it's another good list to check. Click here: Harrison's Bird Foods is a family of certified organic pet bird diets that were formulated to make your bird as he