Ask TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO Your Own Qu...
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING
1568960

My goldfish has blood streaks over all her fins and tail ...

Customer Question

My goldfish has blood streaks over all her fins and tail (she has a fan tail) - she has a sore at the base of her ''top'' fin.   For months now I have been using one or other of the Fin Rot & Fungus control treatments (King British / Interpret and Melafix/Pimafix.   It gets better - sometimes better than others but then they have to be left over the weekend as they are in work and when I come back on a Monday it is bad again.   Can you help me? The other fish with her is unaffected. She has eaten this morning but is now lying on the bottom.   I test the water regularly for PH and Nitrit and Amonia and it is always okay.
Category: Pet
Expert:  TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO replied 8 years ago.
Blood streaks are a classic symptom of an illness called Septicemia.

The medicines you have tried are very good but unfortunately are ineffective against Septicemia.

The best way to treat this is by beginning with a 25% water change, then adding aquarium salt--1 teaspoon per every 5 gallons of water. Once done begin to treat the fish with a medicine called
Triple Sulfa which is very effective in combatting Septicemia. Listed below is a link to a web page that will show you the product Triple Sulfa.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery for your goldfish and please let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4829&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&pc=1&N=0&Ntt=septicemia&Np=1
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am in the United Kingdom and do not seem able to find a similar product. I do not think going on the website you kindly gave me will help as they seem to be USA only.
Sorry about that as I wasn't aware you are in the UK. Are you able to obtain a product called Maracyn-Two? If so then this will also help cure Septicemia. It's made by a company called Mardel.
Sheila, try this link for a medicine called
No 9 Anti-Bacterial Treatment 100ml 0569. It's available in the UK.

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/mia/d/no+9+anti+bacterial+treatment+100ml+0569/pid/2701642
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you - I have ordered this.
You're quite welcome and I hope all works out well and quickly.