Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

At what temperature is it too cold for a caged rabbit to be ...

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
At what temperature is it too cold for a caged rabbit to be outside? Thank you. I sm pet sitting for a rabbit. He is in a cage, with hay bedding. He is in an unheated garage. It is cold outside. Is he okay without heat?
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Does this rabbit live outside all year around when he's at home?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Anna's Post: I know it has been outside since September. Before that I'm not sure. Thanks
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. If the rabbit was outside through the fall months, it has had time to acclimate to being in the cold. Make sure it has a deep pile of bedding - sometimes they actually like to tunnel into it to stay warm. Water is essential, so if it freezes, replace it with fresh water. Three times a day should be enough. The rabbit should also have unlimited hay to eat and pellets when it's very cold. If you live in one of the areas that is having below zero temperatures, keep a close eye on the rabbit. If it shivers or seems disoriented, you should bring it inside to your basement or another slightly warmer area.

Rabbits are usually well-adapted to the cold, but once the temperature drops below zero, all animals need to be watched and given some extra care.

If you have further questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)