Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

my daughters hamster woke up shaking this morning, kind of ...

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
my daughters hamster woke up shaking this morning, kind of like constant shivers, and sometimes the shakes get quite aggresive. He is nibbling on a thin slice of carrot and wont drink from his water i have given him a couple drops with a dropper. He can move but is very desturbing to watch, we cannot aford to take him to a vet. i have disinfected his cage and keep him in my hand close to mt body to keep him feeling compfy. Is there anything else i can do,

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Can you describe how he is moving? Does one side seem not to work as well as the other? Is his head tilted to one side at all? Does he lose his balance?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Anna's Post: He was eaven on both dides no un eaveness. He was shaking like he was cold but didn't feel cold to the touch. when i held him or covered him the trembling would almost stop. I soaked his kibble in water and put a little sugar in his water he did eventualy start eating. I put a mineral weel in his cage too. After getting food in him and water his activity leavle pirked up and he started making a new bed and even moving in his weel. He was still a little shaky but not as aggressive he was walking almost like he was a little drunk. Last night i put fresh clean water in awith some dry tail (for the stress)
He has drank a lot of water since yeterday like 30ml. in 17 hours. We also moved him to a slightly warmer part of the house. In the few minutes i have watched him this am he is busy and active, drinking water and running in his weel. He looked as if if he could even be walking normal. What ever it is he seams to have recovered and is back to his cute buisy little self. Is there any ideas on what it could have been and what we can do to prevent it from happening again? Is it possable he was lacking a nutrient of some sort with not having a mineral weel in his cage? Could he have been coming out of Hibernation? or is there any thing else?
The most likely explanation is that he went into hibernation. As they come out of it, hamsters can shake violently. Other causes of shaking are stroke (that's why I asked the questions above) and diabetes (which is more common in the dwarf, but rare in they type you have).

Hamsters will go into hibernation when they feel chilled. Even a few degrees drop in temperature overnight can cause it. It's not good for them to hibernate and wake up repeatedly, as it's hard on their bodies, so you do want to try to prevent it. Your hamster should be in a room where the temperature evenly stays around 70 degrees. If you don't have a room like that, you can buy one of the heating pads that are made to go underneath reptile cages. Most pet stores carry them. It would be put under the hamster's cage to maintain even warmth.

Glass aquarium tanks stay warmer than wire cages, since they're closed in, so if your home is only slightly cool, that may solve the problem, too. Bedding should be deep, and at night you could put a towel over the top to further conserve heat in the cage.

If your hamster does hibernate again, the best way to warm him is to hold him in your hands. Sudden or rapid warming is not good for them; it needs to be gradual.

If you have further questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I'm glad your hamster is back to his normal self.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Anna's Post: thank you so much for your help in this matter he still has a moment of unsteadyness every so often but only momentairly. Hopefully this is the last time i need o send for advice, once again thank you so much!!!
You're very welcome. I hope your hamster continues to recuperate uneventfully.

Anna