Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

goat: open wound..inch wide by an inch long and its gaping..bite

my goat has an open wound about an inch wide by an inch long and its gaping. it was a bite from a pig. how can i fix it?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

Where is the injury located?

Has the area stopped bleeding?

When did this happen?

Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Jav917's Post: the injury is right behind the right ear - about 2 inches behind his ear. the bleeding has stopped for the most part. it happened about 60 minutes ago. i'm just concerned because the bigger of the 2 wounds is nearly an inch wide by about an inch high and is gaping - like it might need stiches. is there a way to fix him without necessarily getting stiches?
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

At this point this injury will probably need sutures. The best thing is to keep the area clean with soap and water, Betadine and some Furazone if you have it on hand. The Vet will most likely have to stitch this area up depending on the angle of the injury. If you let it go the Vet will have to trim the dead skin edges away and close the wound with sutures. The Goat will most likely need a tetnus Vaccination and some antibiotics. At this point I would keep the area well cleaned and call the Vet for a visit. If the area is not sutured it will most likey become infected. Joan

Joan, Vet Technician
Experience: Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish