Ask TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO Your Own Qu...

TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING
1568960

fresh water fish tank, angelfish swimming erratically, ...

Customer Question

fresh water fish tank, angelfish swimming erratically, others okay...one angel fish died, other now laying on bottom of tank. still breathing but just lying there.Treated tank for possible bacteria, 3 weeks and fish still not swimming, just lying there
Category: Pet
Expert:  TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO replied 6 years ago.
How long has the tank been up and running with fish in it?

How big, in gallons, is the fish tank?

Has the water been tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? If so, what were the exact results?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO's Post: tank is 55 gallon hexagon tank with fish in it for about 6 months. the only test I have done is a nitrite test with the results being 0.3mg...after test we changed 50 percent of the water and did a bacteria medication"Fungus Clear".after 4 days we did a followup treatment once again. Other fish are okay, large angelfish still laying . we separated him with a breeding net to try to nurture him back to health,because he kept hiding from the others.any suggestions
The fact that one angel fish has died and the other is acting erratically would definitely indicate a problem with the water quality.
Also the fact that nitrite was/is present in an established tank is an indication of water quality issues.

What I suggest you do is change 25% of the water,
do not add anymore Fungus medication as you have not mentioned the presence of any physical symptoms that indicate a fungus. Next, add a medicine called Maracyn as most likely the fish is suffering from an internal bacteria in which the prior medicine used was not potent enough to eradicate.

I also suggest that you frequently monitor the water quality for the presence of ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. Results should be ammonia and nitrites=-0- and nitrates 40 ppm or lower. No other results are acceptable as both ammonia and nitrites are lethal and should always test at -0- in an established tank.

If the test results indicate that ammonia and/or nitrites are present then the only remedy is partial water changes until both are eliminated.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be more than happy to answer them.